Department of Entomology,
Academy of Natural Sciences,
Philadelphia, PA 19103-1195
215-299-1141 (landline, United States)
215-299-1028 (fax, United States)
- Associate Curator (1996-present), Department of Entomology, Academy of Natural Sciences.
- Acting Vice President (1996-1999), Biodiversity Group, Academy of Natural Sciences.
- Assistant Curator (1990-1996), Department of Entomology, Academy of Natural Sciences.
- Postdoctoral Fellow (1989), Department of Entomology, Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C.;
Selected Grants and Awards
- Survey and Inventory of the Aquatic Macroinvertebrates of the Selenge River drainage basin, Mongolia. $350,000. (with J. Morse and B. Hayford) Biotic Survey and Inventories Program at National Science Foundation (NSF), 2002-2005. Also Research Experiences for Undergraduate Supplement, $12,000.
- Re-housing and Database Development of the Primary Type Specimens in the Entomological Collection of the Academy of Natural Sciences. $92,432, Biological Research Collections program at NSF, Awarded 2002-2004 .
- Conservation and Documentation of the Titian R. Peale Butterfly and Moth Collection at The Academy of Natural Sciences. $96, 700, Save America's Treasures, National Endowment of the Arts/National Park Service partnership, Awarded 2002-2003 (part of larger $193, 419 project).
- Field Exploration of Desert Crane Fly Evolution in the Hidalgan Desert, Mexico. $1,000. (collaborative research with A. Contreras-Ramos, Univ. Aut. Est. Hidalgo). Geographical Society of Philadelphia. 2002.
- Acquisition of Digital Imaging Instrumentation for Light Microscopy and Scanning Electron Microscopy, $65,883, (With D. Didier-Dagit) NSF-DBI - Major Research Instrumentation, Awarded 2001.
- Research Experiences for Undergraduate Site Award, "Collection Based Research Experiences" $150,000 (with D. Didier-Dagit and R. McCourt), NSF-Systematic Biology, awarded 1998-2001; Renewal 2001-2004, $156,612 (with D. Didier-Dagit and R. McCourt)
- Enhancement of the ANSP Orthoptera and Diptera Collections, $175,000 (with Daniel Otte), NSF: DEB Long Term Projects #9420188, awarded for 1995-1997. Also Research Experiences for Undergraduate Supplement, $9744, NSF: DEB, awarded 1996.
- Aquatic Crane Flies of Pennsylvania: Preliminary Checklist and Database Development, $13,203 (with Chen Young), Pennsylvania Wild Resource Conservation Fund, awarded for 1995-1996; Database Development and Preliminary Surveying, $15,610, awarded for 1996-1997.
- Travel Support for Cooperative Systematic and Ecological Research in Northern Mongolia, 1995-1998, $219,995 (Primary PI=C. Goulden, with D. Didier), NSF: Internat. Programs/E. Asia (awarded).
- Systematics and Biogeography of the Desert Crane Flies of Western North America,$135,000, NSF Systematic Biology, awarded for 1992-1995.
- Neotropical: Ecuador (1990), Mexico (1990), Peru (1989).
- North America: Western United States - numerous expeditions (1979-present, particularly west Texas & New Mexico 1992-1993, California, Nevada 1995) Kansas (1979-1988), New Jersey (Pine Barrens) 1992-present, Pennsylvania 1997-present).
- Eurasia: Mongolia (1996, 1997, 2002, 2003), Poland (1991).
- Ph.D., 1989, Entomology, The University of Kansas.
- M.A., 1983, Entomology, The University of Kansas.
- B.S., 1978, Entomology, The University of California at Davis;
Publications relevant to Mongolia
- Gelhaus, J. and G. Byers. 1994. "Tipulidae", Chapter 19 pp. 438-458, In J. Morse, Lixin T., and Yang L., eds., The aquatic insects of China useful for detecting water pollution, Nanjing: Agric. Univ. Press.
- Gelhaus, J., S. Podenas and F. Brodo. 2000. "New and poorly known species of long-palped crane flies (Diptera: Tipulidae) from Mongolia." Proceedings. Academy of Natural Sciences 150: 145-157.
- Podenas, S. and J. Gelhaus. 2000. "A new species of long-palped crane fly in the subgenus Tipula (Odonatisca) [Diptera: Tipulidae] from Mongolia." Trans. American Entomol. Soc. 126(1): 109-115.
- Podenas, S. and J. Gelhaus. 2001. "New species of short-palped crane flies (Diptera: Limoniidae) from Mongolia." Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences 151: 41-59
- Gelhaus, J. and S. Podenas. In press. "The diversity and distribution of crane flies (Insecta: Diptera: Tipuloidea) in the Hovsgol lake watershed, northern Mongolia." The Geology, Biodiversity and Ecology of Lake Hovsgol, Mongolia, C. Goulden et al. (eds.), Backhuys Publ.
Other Selected Publications
- Gelhaus, J. 1986. "Larvae of the crane fly genus Tipula in North America (Diptera: Tipulidae)." University. Kansas Science. Bulletin 53: 121-182.
- Louton, J., J. Gelhaus and R. Bouchard 1996. "The aquatic fauna of water-filled bamboo (Poaceae: Bambusoideae: Guadua) internodes in a Peruvian lowland tropical forest. Biotropica 28(2): 228-242.
- Young, C. W. and J. Gelhaus. 2000. "Crane flies of Pennsylvania: Preliminary checklist and database development with emphasis on aquatic species." Report submitted to Pennsylvania Wild Resource Conservation Fund. 256 pp. Available from authors.
- Gelhaus, J. 2002. "Manual for the Identification of Aquatic Crane Fly Larvae for Southeastern United States." Manual for Carolina Area Benthological Workshop, Durham, NC. 205 pp.
- Gelhaus, J. In Press. "The systematics and biogeography of the desert crane fly subgenus Tipula (Eremotipula) (Diptera: Tipulidae). Memoirs American Entomological Society No. 46.
Advisors and Collaborators
- Ph.D. Advisory Committee: George Byers (chair), Charles Michener, Edward Wiley
- Postdoctoral Advisor: Wayne Mathis
- Collaborators (last 48 months): E. Amat, F. Brodo, D. Didier-Dagit, A. Contreras-Ramos, C. Goulden, B. Hayford, J. Morse, R. M. McCourt, M. Petersen, S. Podenas, G. Poinar, S. Rao, V. Podeniene, C. W. Young.